Historic Sites

Every year the Downers Grove Historical Society recognizes a significant building or site which has been important to the history of our village as part of our Historic Sites Program.  Research is done and a brief history is documented on a bronze plaque which is permanently mounted on the building or at the site.  These locations help paint a picture of our development as a village. Each structure and historic site contributed to our story and by commemorating them, we help preserve their importance in the lives of our citizens throughout the years.

YEAR RECOGNIZED HISTORICAL SITE ADDRESS
1997 Main Street Train Station (Twin-City Zephyr Crash Site) 5001 Main Street
1998 Tivoli Theatre 5021 Highland Avenue
1999 Downers Grove Park District Golf Course 2420 Haddow Avenue
2000 Main Street Cemetery 5190 Main Street
2001 Lincoln Center 935 Maple Avenue
2002 Prince Pond 4900 Prince Street
2003 Pierce Downer Well 4448 Seeley Avenue
2004 The Chicago Railroad Center of the Nation Mural 920 Curtiss Street
2005 The First Baptist Church 929 Maple Avenue
2006 Avery Coonley School 1400 Maple Avenue
2007 Historic Brick Streets  
2008 Downers Grove North High School 4436 Main Street
2009 Whittier School
Longfellow School
536 Hill Street
1435 Prairie Ave
2010 Farmer's & Merchant Bank 5135 Main St
2011 Civil War plaque 5190 Main Street
2012 Masonic Temple Building 923 Curtiss Street
2013 Blodgett House 831 Maple Avenue
2014 Mochel Hardware Store 5122 Main Street
2016 Fairview Train Station 5015 Wilcox Ave
2017 Underground Railroad Monument 5190 Main Street
2018 Penner Building 5219-5221 Main St
2019 Grant E Dicke Fire Station 1110 Warren Ave